Community Fellows, Summer 2023: DAY ONE Early Learning Community
DAY ONE Early Learning Community is a non-profit located in the city of Poughkeepsie. Our mission is dedicated to creating the best learning opportunities for young children in New York State by providing state-of-the-art training for early childhood teachers. As part of our ecosystem for building high quality early childhood education, we provide programs for parents to have access to knowledge, resources and respect for their hopes for their children and families.
Project or Position Title: Program Support (2 positions available)
Project or Position Description:
In addition to the general support of DAY ONE Early Learning Community, the Program Support position has the potential to work in the following areas:
School and Summer Camp Program
- Work alongside lead teacher to support daily activities in the classroom with the children
- Collaborate and support the work of community partners
- Support literacy activities through arts and drama
- Assist with administrative tasks
Research and Curriculum Development
- The student would build upon the research that Community-Engaged Learning students conducted in Spring 2023
- Organize collected research forms into database
- Continue to catalog the DAY ONE Children’s library
- Link children’s book to the Teaching Apprenticeship Program curriculum
- This is an opportunity to see a curriculum being developed and implemented, the essential aspects of organization and detail in curriculum
- Learn more about DOELC and the local community!
There are also opportunities for the student to work on social media and marketing across platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out lessons and activities related to literacy
- Research topics around public policy and social justice through an early childhood education lens
- Organize research through summaries, editing, formatting, and presentations
- Actively participate in the summer camp program
- Administrative tasks such as supply management, attendance, etc.
Location: 70 Hooker Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Specific Skills/Experience Required for the Project:
- An interest in early childhood education
- Experience working with young children
- Spanish language skills are a plus, but not required
- Maturity, responsibility and reliability are important
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality requirements
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Attention to detail
- Attention to professional presentation
Mentorship Opportunities from Organization:
The student will receive mentorship from staff at DAY ONE, in addition to mentorship from exposure to a large community project carried out by Poughkeepsie non-profits and stakeholders like the 35 Montgomery Community Coalition, the YOU, and the Poughkeepsie Children’s Cabinet.
- Fellows should expect to be available during the organization’s work hours.
- The student will be encouraged to attend community events that might fall outside of traditional work hours.
Previous Community Fellow Experiences:
Students have previously participated in Community-Engaged Learning opportunities with Day One Early Learning Community in projects ranging from social media to curriculum development.