This opportunity is available during the Fall 2022 semester. This opportunity can be conducted virtually and is only available for CEL credit.
Dutchess County Progressive Action Alliance: The purpose of this organization is to inspire and mobilize sustained community activism through the involvement of the people of Dutchess County, New York, in order to promote progressive agendas. We educate Dutchess County residents concerning local issues and their connection to state and national issues, seeking to enhance institutional ethics and policies through the use of pamphlets, social media, letters in newspapers, local radio programs, public forums, workshops, petition signups and face to face conversation while tabling at public events, etc. We establish alliances with other organizations and mobilize members of our group to persuade officials to positively address community concerns and broader issues that affect the well-being of our citizens and environment.
We are an issues-based, non-partisan organization and tend to engage and support causes and philosophies on one side of the “dividing line” of what has become a discouragingly polarized, non-compromising national divide. We maintain active and committed “Action Teams” that focus on specific issues or areas of perceived concern, and that we would like to support change and progress towards healing some areas that we think are not adequately supported. Our current Action Teams: Environment, Healthcare, Immigration Justice, Saving Democracy, and Social Justice.
The student will come into periodic contact with each of these Action Teams, and learn what their fundamental thrust is, and how they are reaching their goals or reaching out to the general public.
The intern can gain opportunities to learn, and enhance already existing skills, by assisting with our organizations’ communications, specifically:
- monitoring the Facebook page
- enhancing the website
- creating an Instagram and Twitter account for DCPAA use
- managing the events calendar
- helping to create an updated flyer on what DCPAA is about
- assisting with the handling of our Mailchimp emails
- working on the DCPAA electronic newsletter
- creating flyers for DCPAA events
- making connections with current members and recruiting new members
- assist with Powerpoint/slide shows
- The intern may need to occasionally assist action teams with short term tasks.
- social media skills, communications skills, organizing skills, computer skills
- interest in the organization
- The days/times chosen to accomplish the above opportunities will be flexible, except for when there are time sensitive tasks.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- 4 hours a week: students can register for 0.5 unit of credit ( min. 40 hrs with org over the semester + 30 hrs of academic work or min)
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu