Of the tree called hanon[1] and its fruit.

Translated by Lizabeth Paravisini-Gebert

Hanon (sugar apple or sweetsop) is a tree whose fruit highly resembles that of the guanábano or soursop, which was described in the preceding chapter. In its size, shape, and fruit, and in the fruit’s qualities of fleshiness and pits they are very similar, except for two things. And since I didn’t draw the guanabana above, I am including in this image both it and the hanon.[2] But the hanon is a much better fruit, although it is quite smaller; and to my taste, the hanon has a great advantage over the guanabana, although I have heard some contradict me, either because their tastes are subtler than mine, or they have a greater appetite for the guanábana, or perhaps because their palate is rougher, or they are more sensitive to the differences than I am. It is also true that I have had a closer friendship with fruit than with meat or any other delicacy. Guanábanas are green and the hanon is yellow and both fruits are covered in scales and have similar flesh inside, although in my opinion the hanon is not as watery as the guanábana, and the part that is eaten is thicker and better tasting, as I have said, if I am not mistaken. The wood of this tree is like that of the tree above, of little value apart from its fruit, which is why the Indians in the settlements and gardens appreciate it and hold it to be among the best trees they have.

[1] Annona squamosa

[2] Lám. 3, Fig 7.