In this post I’ve gathered some tutorial videos and slideshows from Art Prof along with some links to using Discord in your classes. What is Discord? Check out Chad’s post, Using Discord for Teaching, Learning, and Community. I’ve also included a handy tool for displaying images during in-person class discussions, critiques, or virtual meetings.
Art Prof is a global online community of visual artists that cares deeply about art, learning, and sharing. We provide equal access to art education on a global scale, removing barriers that exist due to the cost of higher education, private classes, and online classes with paywalls.
Art Prof Clara Lieu, talks about her experiences using Discord to teach art courses online.
Discord (download the app)
Stock images for drawing and painting
ART Reference Photos
Quick Space Bar Image Viewing Tip for Mac OS – Helpful tool for sharing images in class or during virtual meetings.
- On your Mac, select one or more items, then press the Space bar.
A Quick Look window opens. If you selected multiple items, the first item is shown.
- In the Quick Look window, do any of the following:
- Resize the window: Drag the corners of the window. Or click the Full Screen button in the top-left corner of the Quick Look window. To exit full screen, move the pointer to the bottom of the window, then click the Exit Full Screen button that appears.
- Zoom in and out of an item: Press Command-Plus (+) to make the image bigger or Command-Minus (–) to make it smaller.
- Rotate an item: Click the Rotate Left button or press and hold the Option key, then click the Rotate Right button. Keep clicking to continue rotating the item.
- Mark up an item: Click the Markup button .
- Trim an audio or video item: Click the Trim button , then drag the yellow handles in the trimming bar. To test your changes, click Play. To start over, click Revert. When you’re ready to save your changes, click Done, then choose to replace the original file or create a new one.
- Browse items (if you selected multiple items): Click the arrows near the top-left of the window or press the Left Arrow or Right Arrow key. In full screen, click the Play button to view the items as a slideshow.
- Show items in a grid (if you selected multiple items): Click the Index Sheet button or press Command-Return.
- Open an item: Click Open with [App].
- Share an item: Click the Share button , then choose how you want to share the item.
- When you’re done, press the Space bar or click the Close button to close the Quick Look window.
Short Demo Video: