Summer Summary (We’re back at Vassar!)

frog_in_hand2The school year is approaching and I’m back at Vassar (my office will be temporarily moved for the fall 2014 semester, so you can find me in Blodgett 234). This summer I was down in Atlanta, working out of my collaborator, Walt Wilczynski’s lab.  Walt and I have previously shown that listening to a chorus can enhance midbrain responses to a conspecific (same-species) call in green treefrogs. This summer I took my eletrophysiology equipment to Atlanta to explore whether the changes in the brain might be due to more generalized changes in peripheral auditory processing (the ear and the auditory nerve). To explore this we measured several aspects of hearing. Then we housed frog in individual chambers, where we could play either a conspecific chorus or random tones for 10 days.  After those 10 days we measured the hearing of the animals again.  What happened?  Stayed tuned for updates as the data gets analyzed!  Below you can see pictures of our experimental set-up.

These are the individual sound chambers that house the frogs.

These individual sound chambers house the frogs.

This is what it looks like inside of the sound chamber. In the top is a light, speaker, and a microphone. In the bottom is a water dish, artificial vegetation, and a perching rock.

This is what it looks like inside of the sound chamber.

One of our frogs, enjoying a sound chamber.

This is the computer and hardware we use for our experiments. The beige box is a large walk-in sound attenuating chamber.

Inside the sound attenuation chamber. The animal is placed in the faraday cage below the speaker.

This entry was posted in Gall Lab News, What's New in Sensory Ecology?. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Summer Summary (We’re back at Vassar!)

1. Megan D. Gall says:

This is a research lab that we used at Georgia State University in Atlanta.

2. Ismi says:

so, is that your office?