Project Proposal: Magnetic Levitation and Maglev Trains

For my project, I will research magnetic levitation – the method by which objects are suspended with only the support of magnetic fields – and explore the application of this method in maglev trains. These trains operate by one of three maglev technologies: electromagnetic suspension (EMS), electrodynamic suspension (EDS), or magnetodynamic suspension (MDS).

I will model the magnetic fields that allow these trains to levitate and propel along the tracks, as well as the induced currents that are generated by these fields in the electrodynamic suspension (EDS) method. Mathematica, Microsoft Excel, and Wolfram Alpha are the computational tools that I intend on using to do this.

The visual aids on my blog page will include graphs modeling the magnetic fields, as well as the induced currents in the EDS method. Through an analysis of these models, I will explain the physics behind this futuristic method of transportation.

2 thoughts on “Project Proposal: Magnetic Levitation and Maglev Trains

1. James Jordan

Hi Joan, I represent Drs. James Powell and Gordon Danby, the inventors of superconducting Maglev in 1966. They have continued to work on their Maglev transport system and have invented a 2nd generation of the system that is much more capable because the new 4-pole magnets operate in both a planar and a monorail mode. This permits their new system to operate on conventional rail that has been adapted to Maglev and to electronically switch. These magnets are more powerful do not have an external force field that exceeds the Earth’s background field. Therefore this system is an excellent means for carrying fully loaded highway trucks and freight which can command much higher revenues than passenger only systems. Not many people including President Obama realize that the Japanese superconducting Maglev that currently holds the World speed record at 361 mph is based on the Powell and Danby 1st generation Magnet design.

As you dig into your research project we would be interested in reviewing your work. Dr. Powell and Dr. Danby are exceptional scientists and both are physicists. They recently joined me in writing a book, “The Fight for Maglev: Making America the World Leader in 21st Century Transport”, The book is available on Amazon as a paperback or an eBook. There is a good chapter on How Maglev Works and There is another chapter that shows the new 2nd generation superconducting Maglev. Please keep us posted.

Please stay in touch. We are thrilled that you have selected this research project.

Jim