Heart Rate Variability Course

Awardee: Judy Finerghty

Semester of Award: Spring 2019

Materials Awarded: This allowed me to purchase an online course that furthered my knowledge of the Heart Rate Variability (HRV) biofeedback metric. HRV’s were measured by those players on the team that I coach (Women’s Lacrosse) throughout the season in Spring 2019, and I also introduced the topic in my Nutrition and Exercise course.

Project Description:

The HRV Course gave me a deeper understanding of this newer metric, and supported work with my team and my class. Specifically, it helped me to convey to my students how personal choices about nutrition, exercise, sleep and mental and emotional health contribute to their individual HRV scores. It also assisted me in underscoring and encouraging students to make conscious decisions that impact their physical health via measurements of the Autonomic Nervous System using HRV. I believe that the students found the information useful and relevant to their lives, especially with regard to the need for time management and sleep!
A blogpost that I wrote for the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association on the HRV project can be found at this link:

A Foray Into Biofeedback

Thank you for the opportunity!

This entry was posted in 2018-2019. Bookmark the permalink.