Meet the Team!

Say ‘hello’ to our Grand Challenges Interns for the fall of 2021! They are all seniors who are passionate about inclusion and equity in STEM and beyond, and would be happy to hear from you. Please reach out to them with ideas about how to improve inclusive practices at Vassar, concerns about what classes to take, curiosity about how to navigate STEM majors here, or any other thoughts!

Nandeeta Bala

Hi everyone! My name is Nandeeta and I’m a junior majoring in Cognitive Science and Education and minoring in Chemistry. I grew up in Bengaluru, India, and I currently live in New Jersey. I’m a Grand Challenges Intern and Co-chair of the EPI Inclusive Pedagogy and Curriculum working group. I live and breathe (and almost eat) STEPP (Student Teacher Engaged Pedagogical Partnership), Vassar’s pedagogical partnership program. I’m super passionate about inclusive pedagogy (especially in STEM and especially ~hehe~ in pedagogical partnership work) and Deece ice cream. I also like to dance and play chess and basketball! Would love to get to know you! Email me at nbala@vassar.edu.

Maya Pelletier

Hi all! My name is Maya (she/her) and I’m a senior Environmental Studies major (did the photo give it away?!). Within my major, I am specifically interested in environmental justice, biology, and the intersections between science, justice, and society in aquaculture and marine science. I grew up in rural Maine and spent a year in Quito, Ecuador with a host family before coming to Vassar. Here I’m a member of the Grand Challenges core team, which I got involved with during the summer before my sophomore year. I’m passionate about understanding science and math as forces that shape society, and learning to use them in ways that are intentionally just and inclusive. During my free time (what’s free time??) you’ll catch me outside running, biking, climbing, hiking, or sitting in a tree– that, or in some nook of the library lost in a book. I’m always happy to hear from you, so feel free to reach out at mpelletier@vassar.edu to share ideas or just say hi! 

Nia Smith

Hi! My name is Nia (she/her) and I am in my Senior year at Vassar. I am a Neuroscience major with a correlation in Educational Studies. I am Long Island born and raised and came to Vassar to stick to my NY roots while being able to connect closely with my professors and peers at a smaller school. I am passionate about social justice issues, as I identify as a first generation and low income student at Vassar. Outside of being a Grand Challenges Intern, I am heavily involved with the Transitions Program (woohoo!) and love studying American Sign Language. I am always open to talk about a range of things, especially regarding social movements and navigating life with minoritized identities. Feel free to reach me at nsmith@vassar.edu! See you around, friends! Do not hesitate to say hello 🙂

Follow

Follow this blog

Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

Email address