Featured Sophomore: Carlos Hernandez ’14

1) Describe your 2nd year experience at Vassar.

Sophomore year has definitely been a lot more hectic than my first year here at Vassar. First of all, on the academic front I find myself much more engaged with the themes and topics I have been exploring in my classes this year. In terms of extracurriculars I continue doing work in a lot of the organizations I was involved with during my freshman year. I am heavily involved with the Poughkeepsie Farm Project, Vassar Contrast Magazine, Main House Team, The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, among others. My second year has been great thus far, but I am definitely getting excited to move to Copenhagen this summer, where I will be studying Urban Design during the Fall semester.

2)How was the experience of picking a major and a major advisor? Describe the journey.

Picking a major and an advisor happened really organically in my case. I took a class on Urban Studies and was really interested in it. Vassar is one of the few liberal arts colleges in the country that offers a degree in Urban Studies, by the way, so the program draws a lot of experienced minds in the field. When it came down to choosing an advisor, I picked Professor Tobias Armborst in the Art Department because his views on Urbanism and current project seemed to match where I wanted to go with my degree.

3)What did you do your summer after freshmen year?

The summer after freshman year I stayed here in Poughkeepsie. I worked at the Poughkeepsie Farm Project, not only farming but helping out at the Farmer’s Market, leading educational tours with kids from Poughkeepsie and assisting in the completion of the Community Food Assessment here in the City of Poughkeepsie. So, this was a great way of being outside and doing great work that also relates to my academic work in Urban Studies.

4)What do you think prospective students should know about Vassar?

Vassar is awesome, and you should come! There is a place here for everyone, both academically and socially. It’s a small school with a great name that will give you the tools you need as you start making your way out in the world.