Mapping Concepts and Digitizing Philosophical Stories

Awardee: Osman Nemli

Semester of Award: Fall 2020

Materials Awarded: Software: digital license for 50 seats for ArcGIS digital mapping and digital storytelling software.

Project Description:

The grant provided funding to acquire digital license seats from ArcGIS for my students in my ENST 125: Environmentalisms in Perspective Course. ArcGIS is a digital mapping and digital storytelling software that allows for the possibility to build layered digital maps. The maps and the data plot points available allow users to layer different data points on top of one another in order to either reveal information about a specific area that otherwise would be lacking or in disparate areas (much like an informational topographical map), or to build an argument with the data points available (whether it be an argument that draws attention to the correlation of different data sets, or the causal relation between various data sets). While my course had required reading, attendance, and paper writing, this grant provided an opportunity to have a scaffolded (built-up) multi-media web design that emphasized both research in a given environmental studies topic, while also asking students to present that material in a different way than they usually would. Neither a website, nor a traditional paper, this digital story and digital map focused on one environmental issue that was subsequently ‘mapped’ and storyboarded. Students had to then supplement their research and data presentation with the readings from class and outside sources. So, while the students were asked to plot and map the data sets that related to environmental issues (forest fires, drought, rising sea levels, deforestation, how economics relates to environmental activism, green-washing, etc.), they were also asked to then unpack that data and the story that was being told using particular philosophical concepts that related to environmental ethics.

In preparation for this new software, I set aside two course sessions to workshop the material, though I would suggest more in-class time set aside for students to work on the material. Neil Curri (Vassar College Academic Computing Consultant) ran these workshops and was available for students to reach out to with questions. Were I to do this class and use this digital software again, I would build up the final project from earlier on in the semester with more smaller projects. As it turned out, the class looked at this digital mapping software only after the mid-semester break, and this made it appear that the digital software could not have helped their learning of the material from the first half of the course. What I would additionally do is build maps to accompany their reading comprehension of the texts assigned all throughout the course (so one or two maps every three or four weeks), in order to show students the different ways the layered maps and digital stories can be used in an environmentally-focused philosophy course.

Given all of this, I would definitely recommend faculty including more digital software into their learning, as what is called the digital humanities (but even more the digital curriculum) greatly facilitates learning, students are excited by the opportunity to present their findings and arguments in a different manner, and I was extremely impressed with their finished products.

There are a number of impacts this grant has had on my research. The first is that it has facilitated my grant-writing abilities and specifically how I can include digital services or specific software in the classroom. Another impact has been the change it introduced in the classroom and assignments. Having this assignment as a final for students was an exciting prospect for all included and it gave students a chance to learn how to use a software that they can continue to use outside of class for other projects. Finally, one other impact has been on my research. I am planning on co-authoring a paper that reflects on the experiences of this course — my co-authors are also from different studies and come at this from different perspectives — and how philosophy can map its concepts in order to tell a digital story with multiple media.

This entry was posted in 2020-2021. Bookmark the permalink.