Transitions Research Team

Awardee: Erendira Rueda

Semester of Award: Fall 2017

Materials Awarded: I was awarded $2,119.50 to purchase 3 copies of MAXQDA coding software.

Project Description:

The 3 educational license keys for MAXQDA software allowed me to install a copy of the software on all three of the computers in my research lab. This allowed me to teach the 9 students on my research team how to code and analyze the interview data that we collected during the Spring 2017 semester. The ability to teach this skill set to the members of my research team was most definitely effective. Not only did this provide the students with an invaluable skill set, but it has allowed us to effectively (and more efficiently) code thousands of pages of interview transcripts from the 100+ interviews that I have collected since I began interviewing first generation, low income college students. The coding software allowed us to put together 2 research papers that we presented at the American Educational Research Association annual meeting in NYC in April 2018 and is allowing us to continue doing our work effectively. Having the software on all of the computers in my lab also means that as students on the team graduate and new students come on board, I am able to continue training students to use the software, engage in qualitative data analysis, and keep our work going.

This entry was posted in 2017-2018. Bookmark the permalink.