Creating Critical Bridges and Demystifying Writing

In her article, “Dear Tupac, you speak to me’: Recruiting Hip Hop as curriculum at a school for Pregnant and Parenting Teens,”  Heidi L. Hallman describes the importance of incorporating out-of-school literacies within in-school assignments. Hallman explains that use of these out-of-school literacies can help students see literacy as “a tool for social action rather than as merely a decontexualized skill set”(38). I really appreciated the ways that Bob (the teacher in the article) used hip hop in his English class, letting the song lyrics serve as a “critical bridge” that made writing more approachable and personally relevant for his students. Bob incorporated something his students knew well, and used their deep knowledge of hip hop as inspiration for meaningful writing assignments.

The chapters about writing in Adolescent Literacy also offer ways to make writing more accessible for students. I love the idea of creating a “telling board” as a way of working out a story or essay before writing a first draft- what a great way to get ideas out on paper! In the chapter “Teaching Writing from the Inside,” the author claims that all students she know that “language is a mighty ally that stands within them”(170). I love this idea, and really appreciate the way writing is portrayed as something that all students have the power to create. I think it is important for teachers to give students assignments that allow them to express themselves creatively through writing, making them aware of “the surprise and discovery that accompanies working with words”(169).

Last week, I participated in a panel discussion at the Writing Center called “Why Writing Matters.” A lot of the ideas about writing discussed in these chapters also came up in this Writing Center discussion. The first question asked during the panel was “What is the role of writing in your development as a thinker?” I answered that writing helps me to more clearly understand, to work through my thoughts and ideas. I also said that being confused is a big part of my writing process, and that I find that confusion is invaluable. It is through struggling to clarify my thoughts that I discover what I really want to say! I think it is important for teachers to reflect on their own writing practices, and to share their confusion and challenges with their students. This openness about writing can help “pull back the curtain” and demystify the writing process, helping students become more confident and daring in their efforts to strengthen their writing skills.