A Guide to Visiting Sarajevo

Dear reader,

People often ask me for advice on where to go or what sights to visit once they go to Sarajevo. That is why I wanted to make a small guide for visiting!

The best time to visit is either spring or fall as the temperature is perfect. I would recommend you pack layers and comfortable clothes as you will walk a lot. Now let’s start the trip. I recommend that we begin our journey in Sarajevo. You can fly into the Sarajevo airport and from there take a taxi to the place where you are staying. After you get some rest, let’s head to Barscarsija. It is a historic part of Sarajevo and an old bazaar. It was built in the 15th century when the city was founded. 

You should walk through the small alleyways and see many different stores. Some will sell traditional clothes, jewelry and kitchenware. I recommend you visit the shops and buy some souvenirs. Afterwards, you should get a coffee at many of the traditional spots and you should order a “turkish coffee.” It is delicious and many people still make it at home. Personally, that coffee is too bitter for me, but I do like to get it from time to time.

Afterwards, you should get “cevapi.” It is a traditional Bosnian dish that consists of meat, bread, onions. It sounds simple but it is delicious and one of my favorite dishes in the whole world. Additionally, the best “cevapi” in the country can be found in Barscarsija. There is a lot of debate over which cevabdzinica is best and I will reveal the top three best ones. I would recommend you visit “Hodzic”, “Zeljo” or “Zeljo 2.” They get quite crowded during some times so hopefully you find a table.

After you are finished exploring Barscarsija, I recommend you visit The Sarajevo City Hall. It is a short 10 minutes walk from there. It contains many historic elements that show you pieces of the country’s history. Additionally, nearby you can visit several museums.

Afterwards, I recommend you visit the “Eternal Flame” monument. It is a fire that always burns!

Lastly, you might be interested in doing some shopping. If you are a reader like me I recommend you check out some bookshops on the way there. One of my favorites is buybook. 

For other shopping, I recommend you go to some of the popular shopping malls such as BBI, SCC and Alta. They have both stores that are available in a lot of different countries, but also some more unique stores – truly something for everyone. Additionally, SCC has one of the best food courts in Bosnia and Herzegovina, so I recommend you try either the special burgers or Milky crepes. 

Also, besides visiting Sarajevo I would warmly recommend visiting some other cities in Bosnia and Herzegovina such as Mostar, Blagaj and Konjic. Additionally, I recommend checking out some of the neighboring countries such as Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Macedonia and Slovenia. These cities and countries are beautiful and offer so much to see such as beautiful sites, historic museums and try delicious food.

Hope you can use this advice if you ever choose to visit Sarajevo!

With much love,

Dina Sara

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.