The Politics and Culture of Transparency in 18th century France

This summer I devoted my studies to one of the most dramatic, blood-crazed periods in modern history- the French Revolution. With the guidance of Professor Sumita Choudhury, I examined the century leading up to this historic event through a socio-political lens. In particular, we researched the public’s heightened longing for transparency in the grip of an increasingly secretive despotism. This involved poring through thousands of manuscripts, pamphlets, and critiques wishing to expose the malevolent nature of the monarchy, the clergy, or (in some cases) secret societies such as the Jacobins, Jesuits, Templars, and the Illuminati. Needless to say, there was a vast wealth of mudslinging and speculation from a people who only wanted to know the truth about its government’s shady actions and intentions. This social phenomenon was without a doubt one of the greatest contributing factors to the revolution, which would ultimately be regarded as the most radical period of political and social upheaval in French history. In the hopes of writing a book, Professor Choudhury had me create a rich collection of sources, as well as develop a running vocabulary from the public’s expressions of dissatisfaction towards its rulers. By the end, I have gained a formidable connaissance of the period’s deeper motivations and our active nature as political subjects. Being a psychology major, I was frequently captivated most by the implications of my research in a modern, social context. The enlightened atmosphere of our current society certainly draws many parallels to that of the 18th century in Europe, who made endless reforms on all levels of existence as a result of the birth of the Scientific method. Today, there are millions of citizens asking the same questions as their not-so-distant European ancestors, often concerning the legitimacy of the “transparent” nature of our digital age. Whatever these parallels may imply for the future of our civilization, it is certain that our transition to real Enlightenment will not be as easy as we might have hoped.