Research Team: 2022/2023

Eréndira Rueda, Associate Professor of Sociology

Saludos Transitions students!

I’m Professor Rueda (she/ella), one of the faculty members on campus who identifies as part of the Transitions Family. I grew up in East L.A. and the San Gabriel Valley in Southern California.  I’m fiercely proud of having grown up in a Spanish-speaking, telenovela-watching, low-income Mexican immigrant family and of being the first in my family to go beyond a middle school education. I am sibling-mother to three younger siblings and have always been the path breaker in my family. I take great pride in the fact that my success has always been the result of collective efforts in my family, that it has reflected the hard work and sacrifices that my parents made as immigrants, and that I am now in the position to serve as the safety net for my family.

Fun facts: I picked up boxing a couple years ago (so cathartic!) and discovered I’m a “southpaw”, though I’m right-handed. I’m a little obsessed with mini-donkeys. I’m bi-coastal (CA-NY) in non-pandemic years. It makes my eyes water when students send me postcards from their worldly travels.  I’m an extroverted sociologist who loves to do things in groups, including research.

Alejandro Castro – Class of 2025

Hello everyone! My name is Alejandro (He/Him/His), and I am both a first-generation American and college student. I am part of the Veterans Posse 9 cohort and feel truly appreciative to be amongst so many wonderful students. I was born in Los Angeles, CA but I went to high school near Dallas, TX. I’m a soon-to-be International Studies major with a correlate in Mathematics.

I joined the Transitions Research Team because I identified deeply with the team’s emphasis on giving back and listening to the voices of first-generation/low-income (FGLI) students. I hope to use this opportunity to address unmet needs and help identify and break down invisible barriers for all FGLI students.

I’m incredibly excited to get started and work with some incredible individuals! I’m very proud of this community and hope to make y’all proud!

Fun Fact: I like to think that I am an incredibly talented roller skater!

Neariah Leiner – Class of 2024

Hello! My name is Neariah (they/she). I was born in the Bronx, but spent a lot of my early life moving around. I’m currently a Junior with a major in Science Technology and Society and a correlate in Biology. I’m also on the pre-med track and plan to pursue a career in surgery. On campus I’m involved in VCSS as a DJ and am currently the active social media head. I also participate in Vice Weekly, BSU, ASU, Transitions, Gi-STEM, and the Prohealth club.

As a low-income, black, queer student I was able to find community through my involvement in both Transitions and BSU. Without communities of friends and supporters, my pursuits in STEM would be impossible. That experience has been a huge contributor to my involvement in the Transitions Research Team. I hope to foster conversations and action which can allow students from underprivileged backgrounds to be successful in their academic pursuits.

Fun Fact: This past summer I had the privilege of shadowing a plastic surgeon in NYC. This experience has solidified my wish to one day be able to provide low cost gender affirming surgeries for queer patients.

Leslie Lim – Class of 2024

Hello! My name is Leslie (they/them/theirs) and I am from San Gabriel, California! I am currently a junior majoring in Sociology and Urban Studies interested in pursuing urban sociology. I am a first-generation student, as well as a child of immigrants, which definitely has shaped my perspective and understanding of Vassar.  I care so deeply about the FGLI community here at Vassar and I have come to deeply appreciate all of the love and support surrounding Transitions and the broader community.

Currently, on-campus I work as a research assistant for a Sociology professor, and I am involved with the Transitions Program. I am very interested in sociological and urban theory and want to learn more about educational disparities along urban lines. Personally, I love to crochet, and make jewelry, and have recently become enraptured with mechanical keyboard building and modding.

Fun fact: I watch professional League of Legends and went to the LCS studio in Los Angeles twice!

Daniela Mujica – Class of 2024

Howdy! I’m Daniela Mujica (she/her), but most people just call me Dani. I go by both. I’m from Weston, Florida (Broward County). I’m an International Studies Major with concentrations in History and Sociology, as well as a correlate in Migration and Displacement. I was born in Caracas, Venezuela, and I moved to the U.S. when I was about seven years old. My experience in the Transitions Program is limited, but as a first generation college student, I have found comfort and validation in listening to the experiences of people in that community. I am also a Questbridge scholar. At Vassar, I have been the social media intern for the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life and Contemplative Practices (RSLCP), and been heavily involved in the Strong House Team. I was the First-Year Rep, then a Student Fellow, and this year I’m the House Student Advisor.

Fun Facts: I have two younger siblings, a little brother and a little sister. I love to write, whether it be journaling or fiction novels. I am a member of the Vassar Saber Fencing Team, but have only been fencing for almost three years. I am left-handed. Finally, despite being a Floridian, I really enjoy the cold weather and the snow. It’s comforting to me.

Fernando Rax Lopez – Class of 2025

Hi! My name is Fernando (he/him) and I am a sophomore from Los Angeles, CA. I’m proud to be the the first in my family of low-income, Guatemalan immigrants to attend college. I was always interested in attending college but I was often lost during this journey, relying on others for help. With support from my home community, I eventually found out about Vassar and matched as a QuestBridge scholar.

After moving across the country, I found community and comfort in the Transitions Program. I was inspired to work with the research team to highlight and celebrate the stories of students in Transitions. By placing their narratives at the forefront of our research, I believe that FG/LI students navigating elite institutions can be empowered.

On campus, I’m a prospective Urban Studies major with a correlate in Geography. I am actively involved with community outreach programs like Exploring College and the Engaged Pluralism Initiative, working with students in the Poughkeepsie area. I also play on the men’s rugby team and perform with the Barefoot Fireflies. (My favorite acts involve spinning fire staff.)

Fun fact: My all-time favorite music artist is Logic. Ask me for a song rec!

Nghi Thai – Class of 2025

Hello-hello!! My name is Nghi (She/They). I was born in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam and moved to Syracuse, New York, where I lived all my life before coming to Vassar as a QuestBridge scholar. As a first-generation and low-income student, the initial shift to college was definitely a complicated process that I am still navigating through. However, the existence of the Transitions Program has provided me with a sense of comfort and community here at Vassar. I am a sophomore aiming to declare an Education Studies or Sociology major with a correlate in Urban Studies as I am interested in dissecting urban education. I joined the Transitions Research Team to better contextualize the experiences of FG/LI students within higher education, with great excitement that I will be working alongside other FG/LI identifying students (+ Prof. Rueda!).

Fun Facts: I can identify many native northeastern trees by their leaves. I also have three Capricorn placements on my astrological chart (sun, moon, and mercury).

Leonard Versola – Class of 2023

Hello everyone! My name is Leonard (they/them/theirs) but most people call me Leo. I was born and raised in Quezon City, Manila, Philippines, and I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada when I was ten years old. Currently, I am a Senior with a double major in Music and Education and a correlate in Sociology. On campus, I participate a lot in performing art organizations (BAM A Capella, UJIMA, Vassar College Choir and Chamber Singers), some identity organizations and programs (Southeast Asian Student’s Alliance, NAISA, Transitions), and other miscellaneous groups (Vassar Students Association, QuestBridge, and Engaged Pluralism Initiative).

As a low-income, first-generation, and immigrant student, college was a goal with no step-by-step instruction. It was only late in my high-school career that QuestBridge entered my radar and led me to Vassar. A busy and stressful college application season ultimately resulted in my admittance to Vassar, and so I moved myself halfway across the country.

My first semester at Vassar introduced me to Sociology. Learning the vocabulary and theories of why higher education was such a challenge for so many students like me helped me contextualize my position and validate my belonging in college. I am passionate about giving voice to the experiences of low-income, first-generation, undocumented, and immigrant students as we tell our unique stories of how we got here.

Fun Fact: I graduated from a performing arts high school with a focus on classical vocal performance, music composition, music production, costume design, and art history.

Kayla Walthall – Class of 2023

Hello! My name is Kayla (she/hers), and I am from Texarkana- a border city between Texas and Arkansas. I am a senior majoring in Science, Technology, and Society (STS) with a correlate in Biology. I am also a first-generation college student from a low-income background and a Filipino immigrant parent.

Here at Vassar I have participated in the Daisy Chains, Vassar Questbridge Scholars Chapter, and am a two-time executive board member and EMT-B volunteer for Vassar College’s Emergency Medical Services (VCEMS).

This wouldn’t have been possible without the help of Questbridge to guide me during my college-application process, and the Transitions community ceaselessly fostering my sense of belonging since the first moment I stepped foot on campus. I strive to give back to these communities through my position as a Transitions student leader for the past three years, and my student-led research with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute-funded Grand Challenges Summer Catalyst Program at Vassar.  Last summer, my Summer Catalyst team focused on the effects of the hidden curriculum on underrepresented FGLI, undocumented, and international students. I hope to continue this work as a member of the research team this year!

Fun fact: I grew up with goats and recently participated in the senior bell-ringing and name-signing tradition!