This opportunity is available during Summer 2022. This is an in person position.
The mission of Adelante Student Voices is to support undocumented students and their families in New York on their unique journeys to higher education, while supporting their self-advocacy so they can advance social justice in their communities. High school students join Adelante through an annual 10-day summer program at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie. We have two types of positions open in Summer 2022, either an Intern for a 10 week commitment, or a counselor for a 12 day commitment.
We are looking for people to join our summer team who:
- Are committed to immigrant justice and youth empowerment
- Have experience working in diverse group settings and with young leaders
- Can commit the necessary time
- Prepare for summer session, including…
- Finalize schedule (workshops, guest speakers, college visits)
- Make sure we have complete medical and school records for each participant, including calling families with reminders
- Request financial sponsorships from local agencies and businesses
- Act as a Counselor, including all of the responsibilities listed in position below
- Final wrap-up
- Write an evaluation summary of the 10-day program
- Thank sponsors and workshop leaders
- Help organize remaining supplies, files, and receipts
- Follow-up with rising seniors about application tasks
Location: All work before and after the summer program is remote. During the summer session (June 25-July 5), the intern will live in the Vassar residence hall with the students and other staff. We will provide all meals during the orientation and summer program.
- We have a strong preference for the intern to have a driver’s license to facilitate work (we can lend a vehicle). We may make exceptions for undocumented candidates.
- Fluency in Spanish is valued to facilitate communication with most parents.
Hours: Ideally from May 23rd – August 2nd (10 weeks, full-time); Date range is negotiable, with a preference for as much time as possible to help us prepare prior to the start of the summer session.
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest and your resume to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu