This opportunity is available during the Fall 2022 semester. This opportunity can be conducted virtually.
Arts Mid-Hudson, the preeminent nonprofit arts service organization serving Dutchess, Ulster, and Orange Counties invites you to join their team! Arts Mid-Hudson’s initiatives engage and promote the arts across the Mid-Hudson region, benefiting our artists, arts organizations and communities.
The Arts Mid-Hudson Folk Arts Program works with Mid-Hudson Valley-based folk artists and traditional bearers to preserve and present the rich heritage and diversity of area residents. This work takes many forms from ethnographic fieldwork to providing assistance to individuals and groups for programs.
Peg Leg Bates Resort: The Legacy of Black Resort in the Catskill. The Folk Arts Program is seeking an intern interested in local BIPOC history and learning interviewing techniques. You will be working with a team of folklorists, historians, and visual storytellers, to gather information about the Resort and its legacy.
- Interviews with former guests and employees of the Resort
- Research into local, national, and international history related to entertainment industry, Jim Crow laws and the civil rights movement.
- Help to create public facing programming
- Outreach to the community about the project
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to learn ethnographic interview techniques
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the use of technology for interviewing (film/stilcamera, recording equipment).
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the use of social media for community outreach
Hours: Students can register for either 0.5 unit or 1.0 unit of credit ( min. 40 hours over the semester for 0.5 unit + 30 hrs of academic work or min. 80 hours over the semester for 1.0 unit + 60 hours of academic work)
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest and your resume to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu