This opportunity is available during the Fall 2022 semester. This is an in person opportunity which requires a car.
Family Services brings people together to find the support they need, improving their lives and communities, and building a stronger, safer Hudson Valley.
Location: Various locations in Orange County
Family Education Program Interns provide support to Family Educators in home visits, supervised visits, and group sessions. Interns provides support to Family Educators and Case Aides in case management and supportive counseling to families referred by the Department of Social Services and/or may be involved with preventive agencies. Under the supervision of program staff, interns may facilitate visits and groups. In addition to direct services, interns will assist with administrative and clerical duties. Intern responsibilities will be inclusive of areas identified in their respective college/university learning plan. Family Education Program Interns enthusiastically support, practice, and communicate the agency’s mission and statement of values. We welcome the unique contributions from our team when it comes to culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity, and expression, nation of origin, languages spoken, color, religion, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
As a Family Education Program Intern, the majority of time will be spent conducting home visits, advocating for families, and helping families become self-sufficient under the supervision of program staff. Interns are required to have regularly scheduled supervision as prescribed by their institution’s requirements and must be able to take direction from either supervisors and/or co-workers based on the situation. Training on program curriculum is provided
- Supporting program staff in teaching, advising, coaching and supporting families in mastering parenting skills through home visits and/or group facilitation.
- Maintaining a flexible schedule so that home visits can occur in early morning or evening hours if needed based on client needs.
- Assisting program staff in maintaining accurate visit records, documentation, and report on a timely basis.
- Collaborating with DSS preventive and CPS workers, and other service providers to ensure family cooperation with mandated services and child service needs.
- Ability to work with people from many different racial, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Under the guidance of program staff, possess or strong teaching/coaching skills; meet the needs of family members with effective solutions. Possess compassion and empathy.
- Modeling nurturing attitudes and behaviors in all contacts with program participants and teammates while acting in congruence with Nurturing Program philosophy, methods and Standards of Practice.
- Provide excellent and thorough customer service to all family members.
- Possess ‘out of the box’ thinking and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work effectively in frequently changing environments
- Ability to work independently; but relate issues to manager appropriately.
- Attend supervision meetings, staff meetings, and trainings as required.
- This position requires knowledge about, understanding of, and an ability to work with children and families, preferably with experience in early childhood development.
- Possession of a reliable vehicle and valid NYS driver’s license is a must.
Must be enrolled in an accredited higher education institution, with a field of study in social work, psychology, sociology, education, or related field.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish are preferred.
- Openness to a wide scope of human services experiences
- Candidate must have the ability to work flexible hours.
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors and travel to different areas of Orange County.
- Computer literacy
- Strategic thinking
- Organizational skills
- Client focus
- Time management
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Communication and public speaking skills
- Positive attitude
- Problem-solving abilities
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest and your resume to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu