This opportunity is available during the Fall 2022 semester. This opportunity can be conducted virtually or in person.
For the Many is an organization building a grassroots movement of everyday people to transform New York so it works for all of us. They work on both issue and electoral progressive campaigns, in order to win elections and pass laws at the local and state level. The primary issues they are currently on are housing, healthcare, energy, and racial justice.
In 2022, we will be working on local and state level issue campaigns related to housing, healthcare, energy, and racial justice. To win these progressive statewide policies we need to make calls to our community members to gather popular support for these campaigns in order to pressure electeds to pass the legislation. Additionally, we will make calls to help a number of our endorsed progressive candidates for state and local office in the 2022 Democratic primaries in June and general elections in November. We will have both in person and remote opportunities for community engagement interns.
- Phonebanking or Doorknocking, talking to the community about our campaigns, recruiting potential volunteers and members
- Deep Canvassing, learning to connect with community members on the phone, encourage them to share their experiences, ask them elicitive questions, and gauge their support of campaigns
- Familiarity with digital organizing tools, including Thrutalk, peer-to-peer texting programs, or MiniVAN
- Understanding the political process and issue campaigns, receive first hand experience moving through the political process, strategy and tactics used in issue and electoral campaigns at the local and state level
- Relational Organizing, organizing your own networks to take action for progressive issue and electoral campaigns in NY
Good for people interested in:
- Community organizing
- Campaign work
- Two 2 hr phonebanking shifts/week (remote) OR One 4 hr canvassing shift/week (in person)
- One 15/20 minute 1-1 check in every other week
To Apply: Complete the application and email OCEL@Vassar.edu to let us know that you have applied.