This opportunity is available during the Summer 2022. Parts of this CEL can be conducted remotely.
Celebrating the African Spirit (CAS) is a Poughkeepsie, NY 501(c)3 non-profit community-based organization. Their goal is to commemorate the contributions of enslaved Africans and their descendants in the building of the City of Poughkeepsie. They engage in social action projects to address the consequences of institutionalized racism that Black and Brown people live with today. The mission of Celebrating the African Spirit is to acknowledge, articulate, research and commemorate the lives of enslaved Africans in Poughkeepsie, New York. CAS honors the legacy of enslaved Africans and their descendants in Poughkeepsie, through memorials, historical markers, commemorations, events and works with Poughkeepsie young people on these projects of mutual learning and co-creation.
- Event prep and planning
- Working with young people on programs
- Social media and marketing promotion
- ease of communication with a diverse range of people and groups
- prior work with young people
- website and social media skills
- Times are not fixed, other than for specific events (i.e., potential high school visits, after school meetings, and for evening CAS meetings that take place 1-3 times a month, very occasional weekend events)
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest and your resume to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu