This opportunity is available during Summer 2022. This is an in person position.
The mission of Adelante Student Voices is to support undocumented students and their families in New York on their unique journeys to higher education, while supporting their self-advocacy so they can advance social justice in their communities. High school students join Adelante through an annual 10-day summer program at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie. We have two types of positions open in Summer 2022, either an Intern for a 10 week commitment, or a counselor for a 12 day commitment.
We are looking for people to join our summer team who:
- Are committed to immigrant justice and youth empowerment
- Have experience working in diverse group settings and with young leaders
- Can commit the necessary time
- Independent time necessary to familiarize self with schedule, materials, and mandatory child safety policy (online 5-hour course that can be completed in 30-minute intervals)
- At least one virtual orientation meeting in late June prior to arrival on site
- Arrive to Poughkeepsie by the morning of June 25th, for the in-person portion of staff orientation
- Attend trainings related to being a mentor to new Adelante members
- Organize materials within our space and create welcome signs
- Plan icebreakers and other activities for the students between workshops
- Full 10-day session with 20 high school students including overnights in the residence hall: June 26th at 2pm – July 5th at 9pm
- Mentor a group of 3-4 students with daily check-in conversations
- Assist workshop leaders, and take photos and notes during the workshops
- Chaperon students as they navigate campus and during college visits
- Provide support during computer lab sessions as students create personal plans
- Clean common spaces and perform other daily tasks as part of a dedicated team
- Final clean up/packing and evaluation in late evening of July 5th or on July 6th
Stipend: Preference will be given to counselors who can secure their own funding from their colleges. If needed for ideal counselor candidates, we can provide a stipend of $800.
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest and your resume to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu