This opportunity is available during the Fall 2022 semester. This is an in person position, some tasks can be conducted remotely.
Local artist, Suprina Troche, studied sculpture at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia but never graduated. Instead she got a job as a sculptor in Hoboken, at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and she learned her craft from working in the field. There she discovered the world of promotional prop making and after gaining skill and confidence Suprina started her own prop business. Her clients included Annie Leibovitz, Apple Computer, Bloomingdales, Fortunoff, and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. “I always felt conflicted fabricating objects that were mainly used to sell retail “junk/landfill” …after all, my personal art work was made with these very objects once they were not deemed the ‘next best thing’ anymore and were cast away.” After 9/11, (she lived 3 blocks from ground zero) Suprina found herself making the life long decision to focus solely on her own artworks, which are mostly narrative/figurative and deal with our human condition and social issues. Detritus, castings, modeling, and painting, are all parts of the finished works.
The student should be interested in the arts, and/or the environment /social issues and working with the community.
- Student will be asked to update social media and inventory
- Help create an outreach letter
- Assist in hanging art,
- Prep raw materials for the art-making process
- Self starter and eager to get involved
- Interested in art and social justice
- Social media, excel, good eye/hand coordination, an excellent command of the English language and grammar.
- Handy with a camera, good sense of organizing and a heart for the environment.
To Apply: Please email a statement of interest and your resume to OCELapplication@Vassar.edu