The Vassar Innovation Lab is a makerspace open to all members of the Vassar community. As part of Academic Computing Services, the Innovation Lab seeks to support and promote teaching and learning in emerging technologies with an emphasis on digital design and fabrication. We want to excite people with the possibilities that new technologies enable, and provide the tools and expertise to bring their visions to fruition.
Vassar is committed to working toward a more just, diverse, egalitarian, and inclusive college community where all members feel valued and are fully empowered to claim a place in—and responsibility for—our shared working, living, and learning. The college affirms the inherent value of a diverse campus and curriculum reflective of our lives as members of multiple local and global communities.
The Vassar Innovation Lab is located in the basement of College Center, adjacent to the Old Bookstore at the bottom of the spiral staircase.
Inquiries, Projects, etc: Submission Form.
Discord – The VIL Discord server can now be found on the Vassar Student Hub on Discord!
Amy Laughlin, Director of the Vassar Innovation Lab (email@example.com)
The director oversees all aspects of the Vassar Innovation Lab, including the following:
- Development of general policies and practices
- Long-term planning for the lab
- Supervision of the lab manager
- Programming of lab events and offerings
- Marketing and showcasing the lab’s activities
- Investigation and evaluation of potential new technologies
- The writing of an annual report
In addition, the director seeks new opportunities for the lab to support college activities and partners with college faculty to develop appropriate curricula.
Manager of the Vassar Innovation Lab (coming soon)
The manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the lab, including the following:
- Maintenance, repair, and safety of the facilities
- Development of specific procedures and operations for the safe usage of the facilities
- Supervision and scheduling of student assistants
- Management of the lab’s schedule
- Assisting users in the safe usage of facilities
- Development and presentation of training workshops on the usage of the facilities
- Ordering supplies as needed
- Recommending new technologies and other enhancements to the lab