Transitions, Too Story – Luis Inoa

Luis and his wife at their college graduation.

I was born in Brooklyn (Crown Heights) and raised in Queens (Corona/South Ozone).  Born to Dominican parents who were divorced by time I was 4.  I was raised by a Dominican mother and a Nuyorican father who have always valued familia and learning.

I graduated from high school at 16 with an understanding that I would go to college but with no clear idea about where or why.  As a first generation to go to a four year college, I attended Brooklyn College for two years before traversing on a journey to answer the age-old adolescent question- “who I am I if I am not my parents”.  The quest took me north to SUNY New Paltz.  There I majored in Black Studies, became an RA, all the while fulfilling my hereditary obligation to play shortstop on the school baseball team.

While at New Paltz I met my future wife (Evelyn Velazquez) and we were married soon after graduating in 1994.  By 2001 we had added 4 children (Sara, Jose, Isabel and Mateo) to the family.  During this time we moved from New Paltz, to Hartwick College, to Boston College (where I did my MA), to the University of Miami, to NYU and finally to Vassar College (where I am the Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Res. Life).  I am a Doctoral Candidate at the University at Albany’s Educational Administration and Policy Studies program.  My research and teaching interest include sports, rap music and the educational plight of young men.