Transitions, Too Story – Tyler Fultz

I never really grasped what a college education meant for me as a student from a low income background until I owned my financial anxieties during my senior year of college. Working in a high paying job wasn’t as huge of a concern for me—that’s why after attending a Math/Science/Computer Science program in middle and high school, I decided not to pursue STEM fields in college. However, I realized that stability and regularity were really important to me. I didn’t need a high income, but I needed to know that I would be able to have something coming in regularly that I could budget how I see fit. My college education helped me not only realize my interest in higher education but feel like I had the ability and strength to pursue a field where I could feel financially stable. My low income upbringing led me to believe that pursuing a career working in colleges was beyond something people like me were able to accomplish, a feeling I recognize is really problematic but does grasp where my headspace was at. Now, I feel confident that such a pathway is attainable for me.

Tyler at his graduation from Vassar.
Tyler at his graduation from Vassar.