Transitions, Too Story – Diane Eshelman

As a first generation, low-income student from a single-parent household, my only perceptions of college came from media portrayals. Without the resiliency and determination that my mother instilled in me and the select few administrators at my alma mater, Susquehanna University, who took me under their wings, I would not be where I am today or the badass woman I am today. Although I had administrators who ensured that I strived and thrived my four years, I wish I had the confidence and pride to not feel self-conscious about my background and my family because I would have felt a part of the SU community sooner. My experience, ultimately, lead me to pursue a career in higher education so I could ensure a better experience and campus community where first generation and low-income students can thrive. I am proud to be a part of the leadership for a program/family that not only works to allow student from similar backgrounds to thrive, but also celebrate their unique experiences and amazing accomplishments.

Diane and her mother at her Masters graduation.