19.8% of the student population at Vassar reported that sleeping difficulties affected their individual academic performance on the ACHA-NCHA II from Spring 2016. Adverse impacts on academic performance include: received a lower grade on an exam, or an important project; received a lower grade in the course; received an incomplete or dropped the course; or experienced a significant disruption in thesis, dissertation, research, or practicum work.
Getting A Better Night's Sleep
The most common cause of insomnia is a change in your daily routine. For example, traveling, change in work hours, disruption of other behaviors (eating, exercise, leisure, etc.), and relationship conflicts can all cause sleep problems. Paying attention to good sleep hygiene is the most important thing you can do to maintain good sleep.
Power Napping 101
Napping can be a great way to refresh your mind and body, increase productivity, and enhance your creativity… Studies have even shown that napping can actually decrease your risk of serious health concerns
- An app that combines music, progressive relaxation and hypnosis to improve sleep quality and increase deep sleep.
- A list curated by Healthline based on their quality, user reviews, and overall reliability as a source of support for people with insomnia.
Additional Online Sleep Resources
- The Bedroom Environment, Sleep Disorders, How America Sleeps
- Mattress Education, Science of Sleep
- 6 Tips to Better Sleep
- Fact sheets, sleep hygiene tips, and educational podcasts
- Information on sleep, its importance, how it works, and tips for getting better sleep.