Meet the Research Team – Spring 2017

Eréndira Rueda, Associate Professor of Sociology

Fun Facts: Loves mini-donkeys. Lives a bi-coastal life (CA-NY). Gets really excited when students send her postcards from their worldly travels. Is an extroverted sociologist who loves to do things in groups, including research.

Saludos Transitions students! I’m Professor Rueda, one of the faculty members on campus who identifies as part of the Transitions Family. I grew up in Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley in Southern California.  I’m fiercely proud of having grown up in a Spanish-speaking, low-income Mexican immigrant family and of being the first in my family to go beyond a middle school education. I am sibling-mother to my three younger siblings and have always been the path breaker in my family. I take great pride in the fact that my success has always been the result of collective efforts in my family, that it has reflected the hard work and sacrifices that my parents made as immigrants, and that I am now in the position to serve as the safety net for my family.

I started the Transitions Research Project several years ago as a way to understand the experiences of First Gen and low-income students at this institution, with the hope that these narratives could shape the direction of the college as it works to find increasingly effective ways to help Transitions students thrive during their time at Vassar. During the spring 2017 term, I expanded my work to include a team of 9 undergraduate researchers. I hope that becoming involved with the research process itself will feel empowering to the members of the research team and I feel strongly that the perspectives they bring to the project as First Gen, low-income students will strengthen the work we do together in the coming months.

I proudly present to you the First Gen 9!

Alan Gutierrez, Class of 2018

Fun Facts: Is truly afraid of swans. Can, and will, quote Mean Girls if given a chance. Sings often, and badly. Will often be found eating Mexican and/or Chinese food. Thoroughly loves dogs, scary movies, and laughing.

Hey y’all! My name is Alan and I am a proud first generation, low income student and an even prouder child of Mexican immigrants. I’m originally from California’s San Fernando Valley but now live in Reno, Nevada. I am currently a Transitions Intern and the Junior Class representative for the Transitions Advisory Board. I truly believe in the importance of Transitions and making Transitions students feel welcome at Vassar. I am majoring in Biochemistry and Russian Studies, with the hopes of entering medical school. It is my dream to become a doctor for underserved and undocumented communities.

I joined the First Gen 9 because I am proud of being a Transitions student and a child of immigrants. We are powerful because of the shoulders we stand on. Every step I take, much like my fellow Transitions students, is not only for myself, but also for my family and their future. Yet as qualified as we are, many institutions and career fields highlight a desperate need for “diversity” without offering the adequate resources to support us. I hope that through this project, we are able to discover how to better support Transitions students so that we all feel like we belong at Vassar.

My focus within this project is on student experiences in STEM disciplines. If you are a STEM major/correlate (or taking courses in STEM fields) and would like to share your experiences, I’d really like to hear about them.

Henry Molina, Class of 2019

Fun Facts: My mom used to have a pet peacock, I can knit, and I love astrology

Hey All! My name is Henry, I’m from Sacramento, California and I’m a Cognitive Science major focusing on language and communication. One of my best friends is a Siberian Husky named Noah who is house sitting for me in Sacramento.

I first saw Vassar on a really pretty admissions poster after being frustrated with my college search, after looking into it a bit further I decided to go for it an apply! Now that I’m here I spend a lot of my time working with the Transitions program as a sophomore advisor and creating programming with the library. I also spend a lot of time wandering around the Poughkeepsie Galleria and watching Netflix.

I’m really proud of being a first-gen/low income student because it has constantly led me to build connections with really strong, beautiful, and fun people. I’m proud of these parts of my identity because any time I share a struggle, a hope, or a dream with the people in this community I have always been met with encouragement and understanding.  I joined this project because I want to give back to the first-gen/low income community at Vassar and better understand how the social and institutional forces at Vassar specifically affect this community.

Jasmine Martinez, Class of 2018

Fun Facts: I love eating food, my favorite season is the summer, and I am more than happy to show you pictures of my dog named Biscuit.

Hey there, my name is Jasmine Martinez and I am a junior from Waukegan, Illinois. I am an Urban Studies major, with concentrations in Art and Sociology, and a Russian Studies correlate. I am a first-generation, low-income college student and a child of Filipino immigrants. In high school I was a part of a college access program called the Schuler Scholar Program, which is how I first heard about Vassar.

I am a part of the Southeast Asian Student Alliance (Vice President 2015-2016), the Barefoot Monkeys, and VC Sound System. Last year I was a student fellow in Jewett, and was previously an African Violet. In my free time, I like to bake an abundance of sweet desserts (mostly with chocolate), and draw.

I joined the research team because this project focuses on creating positive change for first gen and low income students by making our needs heard by Vassar College so as to better serve its students. After Vassar, I hope to continue doing research that will similarly empower marginalized communities and address social inequalities.

Juanita Herrera, Class of 2018

Fun Facts: A perfect day includes appreciating street art, drinking an horchata frappe from Tierra Mia (bonus if the cutie is working), and eating a quesadilla de asada from Tacos Gavilan.  Loves dancing merengue with her two little lovely birds – Margarita & Felicíta.

Hellooo! My name is Juanita and I am a proud first-gen, low-income, child of Mexican immigrants. I am from South Gate, CA and I absolutely love it back home because of the beautiful murals, the delicious horchata frappes, and the amazing quesadillas de asada. I am an Educational Studies major and my dreams include making classrooms culturally relevant in K-12  public schools and working to support first-gen and low-income students in higher education. I am a Transitions Intern this year and will be a Transitions Senior Intern next year. I love being part of the Transitions Program because there is so much strength and beauty in being a Transitions student. I have mad love for Transitions students and I am dedicated to supporting our needs and wants.

I joined this research project because I am inspired by the badass work my peers do on a daily basis and I think it’s important to create spaces for people’s voices and stories to be heard and appreciated. I am also invested in this research project because I am excited to come up with new ways to support Transitions students. I am proud to be a first-gen, low-income, child of Mexican immigrants because these identities shaped the Chingona I am today.

Kayla Gonzalez, Class of 2019

Fun fact: I used to rescue cats! I’m really allergic to them, but you gotta take one for the team, ya know?

Hello! My name is Kayla, and I am a proud child of immigrants. My parents both came here from Mexico, and I grew up in the San Fernando Valley of California (I often pride myself in being Vassar’s only valley girl!). I found out about Vassar (and liberal arts schools, in general) through my older sister, who just graduated from Smith College. I’m an English major with a minor in math, and my ultimate goal in life is to be able to support myself as a writer. I hope to share stories that impact and inspire young girls and women of color.

I am extremely proud of the background I come from because I could never be ashamed of the work my mom did in order to give me the opportunity to study. Being a first-generation, low-income college student and part of the Transitions program has been the most defining part of my time at Vassar, and it has led me to some of the strongest and most caring people I’ve ever met. There’s so much beauty in our stories, and this identity is a huge part of why I want to continue sharing stories as I grow older.

My passion for this research stems from my desire to empower people who come from similar backgrounds as myself and my fellow teammates. I want them to know that they belong in higher education, despite the obstacles brought against them. I want to contribute as much as I can to alleviating those struggles and helping people listen to the voices that constantly go unnoticed on college campuses. First Gen 9 is important to me because low-income, first-generation college students carry an extra burden with them to prove that they deserve their spot on this campus, and I feel this research team is working to reverse that pressure. Instead, we want schools to prove that they’re worthy of the students and leaders they bring in.

Kiki Walker, Class of 2019

Fun fact: Chance the Rapper and I have made direct eye contact. Makonnen held my hand once.

I’m a Biology Major with a correlate in Hispanic Studies from Atlanta, Georgia. I found out about Vassar through Questbridge and now that I’m here, I’m a Transitions Sophomore Advisor, Student Fellow, VSA 2019 Senator for Activities, and I can’t help gasping when a dog walks by.

I feel like my upbringing has adequately prepared me for life. Coming to Vassar, you don’t realize how many street smarts you have until you’re surrounded by people who don’t. I’m also proud of my background, because all of the work and sacrifices my family made allow me to be here today. I am proud of my identities because I am proud of my family.

I joined the project because I love facilitating the transitions of people younger than me to where I am today. I thought this was very interesting research, and had such tangible benefits, because instead of just observing, we’re actually going to utilize our data and help people, so hopefully the next class years will have even better experiences.

Lisset Magdaleno, Class of 2019

Fun fact: When I was 9, my mom said not to ride a scooter while wearing boots with heels, but I decided to be defiant and did it anyway and that’s how I chipped my two front teeth. (They’re not chipped anymore, but I listen to my mom now.)

Being a first gen, low-income, child of immigrants from Santa Ana, California has come with a lot of obstacles and difficult situations, but I am extremely proud of who I am because all of it has shaped the person I’ve become. I wouldn’t be where I am without everything I’ve experienced. I am proud of my story, my parents’ stories, and the lessons that have come with those experiences.

I heard about Vassar through QuestBridge and decided to apply after seeing Vassar’s financial aid policy. At Vassar, I’m a Sociology major and President of the Vassar QuestBridge Scholars Chapter, a Joss Student Fellow, a member of We Got You, a tutor for VELLOP’s Spanish Spelling Bee, and a member of the VSA’s Committee on Equity and Inclusion.

I joined this project because I came to college with no clue about what I was getting myself into and ended up feeling lost and unsure during my first year. Now that I’ve had more experience here, I feel like there is more the school can do to make sure all students feel welcome and supported and I would love for the voices of others to be heard and acted upon.

Tamar Ballard, Class of 2019

Fun Fact: I have a birthmark on my hand that’s shaped like Australia!

I’m from Morrow, GA, and was pulled in by photos of Vassar in the fall when I started looking into colleges. Leaves don’t change like that at home! I had to come experience it for myself. Whoever makes the pamphlets for Vassar to send to potential students does a great job because it definitely caught my eye. At Vassar I’m a Computer Science and Urban Studies (with clusters in Africana Studies and Sociology) double major. I’m a Student Fellow on Noyes House Team, I founded a small community group called We Got You, and I occasionally read the emails from BSU and Wordsmiths and think about going to meetings. Other than that, I float around to where I’m needed.

I’m proud to be a first gen/low-income student because society tells low-income/first-generation students that they shouldn’t be here, we shouldn’t be able to get into a school like this. But I did it, and so did all of my fellow low-income/first-gen peers, and that’s something to be proud of. I used to, back when I was young and naive in high school, be kind of self-conscious about being a low-income student. I didn’t like that I couldn’t buy name-brand clothes or afford to hang out with friends. But now that I’m older, it’s a part of my identity that I’m embracing so much more! All the times I’ve seen my mother come home from working sometimes 2 jobs at a time and still try to put money together to buy food and pay rent have worked to get me here, so how could I disrespect that work by not being proud?

I joined the research team because I’m interested in learning more about the possible mental health effects that being at an institution like this has on low-income/first-gen students. With all of the odds stacked against us both before and during our time here, the mental toll we face is notable and I would like to learn more about how that experience has been for other students. I’m also interested in exploring how factors like race, gender, first gen, and low-income status shape the experiences of students in STEM fields.

Victoria Majarali, Class of 2018

Fun Fact: Super passionate about Grey’s Anatomy. It’s an emotional rollercoaster but 10/10 would recommend!

Helloo! I’m Victoria and I’m a sociology major from Staten Island, NY. I chose Vassar because honestly, the shiny posters with pictures of futuristic science labs caught my attention. Coming from a high school with a 1.5 hour commute and student body of 8,000, I was super excited to be in smaller classes and roll out of bed 10 minutes before class. Vassar also allowed me to be close to home (~2 hr train ride away), while still having my own space and freedom that comes with being away from home.

I’m blessed to be a first-generation, low-income, Muslim, daughter of immigrants from the beautiful Caribbean island of Trinidad. It wasn’t until I got to Vassar that I became hyper-aware and self-conscious of my difference. I wouldn’t speak in classes because I knew that as soon as my peers heard me talk, they would know that I’m not like them. I couldn’t articulate my thoughts as eloquently as my peers. Despite this long and arduous journey, I have finally come to be proud of my identity, feel empowered by my difference, and find strength in the knowledge of my family and my community.

I joined this project because my turning point came through learning that I wasn’t the only one struggling. It was important for my experiences to be validated by peers with similar experiences because these institutions can be isolating and make you feel like it’s all in your head. In addition to recognizing the strength of community building, I also believe that the demand for administrative accountability is long past due and our stories can be used to influence these changes to make higher education more accessible for first gen/low income students.