New Year’s Resolutions

image from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/

A new academic year is (nearly) begun! Let the celebrations begin. New faces, new readings, new assignments, new committee work. It’s also the time to make some new academic year resolutions. Here are mine:

1. My assignments and assessments will be varied, fun to grade and perfect tools to help me judge my students’ mastery of the course materials/objectives.
  2. I will learn all my students’ names the first day of class and will not forget them the next class session.
  3. Every class session will be stimulating and filled with vivacious discussion, full participation and active learning.
  4. My courses will transform every one of my students’ lives and will serve as a source of inspiration for the rest of time.
  5. I will be the most popular and inspirational teacher in my department, perhaps in my college. My “rate your professor” listing will be sprinkled with praise and chili peppers.
  6. I will walk into every class session excited by the possibilities of learning about and interacting with each and every student.
  7. The course material I have organized will be so stimulating that my students will continue discussing and investigating long after class has ended. They will give up social events just to come to my office hours.
  8. When my senior students graduate in the spring, they will remember my courses as highlights of their academic career and will remember the material the rest of their lives.
  9. I will manage to finally balance the demands of teaching with the demands of scholarship, committee service and family life.
  10. I will be able to clean house more than that one time between the fall and spring semesters and will be able to do more than just teaching prep on the weekends!

It’s gonna be a great year!