I’ve had a couple of articles published in the past month.

First, and most relevant to my musical urbanism project, an article about the proto-EU visions traced in the career of Simple Minds, “Sound in 70 Cities: The European Urbanism of Simple Minds,” has been published in a new edited volume: Unsichtbare Landschaften/Invisible Landscapes: Popular Music and Spatiality, edited by Giacomo Bottá (Waxmann, 2016). This multidisciplinary volume features articles written in German or English (but not both, i.e., no translations) and presents research on a range of musical cities, from London to South Africa, Istanbul to St. Petersburg. I don’t have a copy of my chapter to share, but read the original essay on this blog for a less academic version of my argument. Click on the image to see the publisher’s description.

3039gross

The second article, “Food Acquisition in Poughkeepsie, NY: Exploring the Stratification of ‘Healthy Food’ Consciousness in a Food-Insecure City,” was published in the latest issue of Food, Culture & Society and draws on original data I gathered for the Poughkeepsie Plenty community food coalition. My co-authors K.T. Tobin and Eve Waltermaurer and I challenge the idea that food insecurity among low-income urban households is explained by food values and shopping priorities that are different (and less healthy) than what higher-income groups demonstrate. Our implication is perhaps obvious but important to support with empirical evidence: household food insecurity is most likely explained by financial constraint, not education about shopping and eating “healthy.” If you click on the image, you should be able to download a PDF of the article (limited to the first 50 visitors).

FCSnewcover