Some writings that first appeared on this blog have been published recently.

First, the latest print issue of Burning Ambulance comes out today with my essay on Tito Larriva (from the Plugz, Cruzados, Tito & Tarantula, and Robert Rodriguez’s Mexican exploitation films) in it.  Burning Ambulance specializes in extended pieces covering musical artists “who deserve wider attention than conventional publications would give them.”  The latest issue includes interviews with performers from avant-jazz (Arve Henriksen, Ivo Perelman, Dead Neanderthals), the artier end of the extreme metal spectrum (Spektr, Yoshiko Ohara/Bloody Panda), and almost uncategorizable, electronic-based new music (Reto Mäder, Robert Hampson/Loop/Main). My Tito Larriva piece sits alongside an essay on 70s blaxploitation film — not a bad juxtaposition, given the postmodern angle I argue for in my review of Larriva’s career.

Burning Ambulance can be purchased as an eBook ($3), Kindle book ($5), or a printed journal ($10 + S&H) here.

ba6cover

Second, I’ve had an article published in the latest issue (Vol., 25, No. 1, March 2013) of the academic Journal of Popular Music Studies: “How Joy Division Came to Sound Like Manchester: Myth and Ways of Listening in the Neoliberal City.” This article grew out of several earlier essays on this blog (which you can track by searching on the Manchester tag) and the paper I presented at the 2012 EMP/IASPM-US Pop Music Conference in New York City.  Check out this issue for other great pieces on Sonic Youth, James Brown, the questions of “rockism” and popular music archaeology, and a memorial to recently-deceased pop-music scholar David Sanjek.

Find the article (behind an academic paywall) at the Journal of Popular Music Studies website.

JPMSMarch2013