Proposal

For my project I will be investigating electromagnetic induction in wind turbines. I will attempt to flesh out the equations related to efficiencies. I will specifically look at how turns of wire coils and surface area of the blades pertain to energy output. Magnetic induction generators output AC current, and I will try to have my analysis reach through the entire process up until this point. I will use equations such as:

Using information from The Handbook of Tables for Applied Engineering Science I will explain and attempt to animate equations such as L=FN2d. This equation helps with showing how solenoids proprieties affect the inductance. If time and ability permit, I will also look try and present an animation explaining the phase shifts in stator wire arrays. I will specifically look into the magnet wire construction as shown in the figure below.

With this type of arrangement we will see that electric fields (not magnetic forces) are responsible for setting up the emf. Although the electric and magnetic fields are inextricable linked, it is useful to note that because stationary charges can’t experience magnetic forces, there has to be another explanation. In my project I will try and present this subtle discrepancy through animations. Much of the information I will collect will come from chapter seven of Griffiths, and various journals, as well as the book mentioned above and The Art of Electronics.

1 thought on “Proposal

1. Avatar photoJenny Magnes

I don’t understand your diagram. Which way is the coil wound? What is the direction of the magnetic field? Griffiths contains some information about the energy stored in magnetic fields; however, there is very little about how the much of the energy stored in the inducing field is actually transfered to the induced field. Margo Kinneberg did some work on that on this blog 2 years ago. Be sure to reference that work without duplicating.
    Be sure to explain all your variables.