This is a place for anyone to post their questions about any objects in the collection, or about the collection in general. This is not just limited to participants – anyone can post a question or a research idea. We have many unanswered questions right now, and listing them all in one place should help to guide our continued research. Each question has the potential to become a research project, and we may see some themes emerge.
The longer this list gets, the better shape we’ll be in to shape a cohesive exhibition at the end – projects that don’t seem related at the beginning could end up having more in common than you might think.
I’ll start us off with a few examples that came up today, in no particular order,
and you can continue to add more as comments below
(if your questions are specific to a particular garment, please include the title and accession number, or if we’ve posted about it elsewhere on the blog, please link to that post)
- for some of our sheer garments, what would have been worn underneath them?
- for a bodice with no matching skirt, what kind of skirt would have been worn with it?
- when did plastics start to appear in clothing (as sequins, beads, closures, etc.)?
- if a Victorian dress is black, was it a mourning dress?
- taking foundation garments into consideration (corsets, hoopskirts, etc.) what size woman would have worn each object? how does her size compare to other women of her time? to today?
- who worked on making each object – who designed it? who made the pattern? who worked on the construction?
- who sold the object, or the materials to make it?