The official student-run blog of the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Permanent Collection
Fading from Memory: Mesoamerica to New York City

Today’s blog post comes from Curtis Eckley, Class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent. On April 20, 2017, Late Night at the Lehman Loeb saw the surfacing of some of the Art Center’s more elusive yet fascinating works from the collection through a faculty talk given by Professor of Anthropology and Latin American & Latinx...

My Friends at the Museum – Art that Speaks

Today’s post comes from Bella Dalton-Fenkl, class of 2020 and Art Center Student Docent. I remember one day last term when I arrived at the Art Center and was met with a surprise—I had to give a tour to fifty people. Unsurprisingly, I felt panic. As I led them through the 20th century gallery, I turned...
My Brown-Eyed Girl

My Brown-Eyed Girl

Today’s post comes from Will Kyle, class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent.   I took a class called “Color” taught by Peter Charlap, the chair of the art department. The class mostly involves lots of exploration and experimentation with a “color aid set,” a few hundred pieces of paper printed with every color known to...
Springtime Titles

Springtime Titles

Todays post comes from Delphine Douglas, class of 2018 and Art Center Multimedia Student Assistant. This week, I was inspired by the Charles Herbert Moore painting, The Catskills in Spring (1861), to look for springtime works in the permanent collection. I found over a dozen works that directly referenced spring in the title and collected...
American Hair Stories

American Hair Stories

Today’s post comes from Josh Schwartz, class of 2018 and Art Center Student Docent. In the 1967 musical Hair the cast sings “Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair/ Flow it, show it/ Long as God can grow it/ My hair.” In the show, the characters’ hair represents their freedom, their unwillingness to conform, and their...
Prints Prints Prints

Prints Prints Prints

Todays post comes from Delphine Douglas, class of 2018 and Art Center Multimedia Student Assistant. Recently I’ve been exploring the prints of the Art Center. With curator Patti Phagan, the docents had the chance to take a crash-course on prints in the Art Center’s print room. We learned about different techniques including woodblock, etching, and engraving,...
Monsters in Miniature: The Bakemono Sōshi

Today’s post comes from Morgan Williams, class of 2017 and Art Center Student Docent. On October 29, 2015, Professor Hiromi Tsuchiya Dollase gave a talk on the Bakemono Sōshi or Monster Scroll in the first lecture of this semester’s Artful Dodger series in the galleries. As the professor who teaches “The Gothic and Supernatural in Japanese...
Vernacular Photography: Framing the Seen and Unseen

Today’s post comes from Sofía Benitez, class of 2018 and Art Center Student Docent. Recently, the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center acquired two series of vernacular photographs from the Peter J. Cohen collection. There has been a growing interest among museums in integrating vernacular photographs into their collecting missions and exploring how this medium became a...
Going Big

Going Big

Today’s post comes from Olivia Zisman, class of 2016 and Art Center Student Docent On Friday, January 30, the Art Center’s current exhibition, XL: Large-Scale Paintings from the Permanent Collection, opened with a lecture by Joyce Kozloff whose 1972 painting Up Front, Appollonian hangs in the show. In her lecture entitled “Maps and Patterns,” Kozloff took the...
Chemical Bonds and Personal Connections

Chemical Bonds and Personal Connections

Today’s post comes from Michael Cadenas, class of 2015 and Art Center student docent. As a part of “The Artful Dodger” series of talks at the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, Marianne Begemann, Dean of Strategic Planning and Academic Resources, stepped out to the Sculpture Garden to highlight some of the works on view in her October...
Fantasy and Reality in Natatorium Undine

Today’s post comes from Kamaria Mion, class of 2014 and Art Center Student Docent. Florine Stettheimer is one of the best examples of an artist whose life informs her work.  Born into a wealthy New York family, her works chronicle the life of luxury that she was accustomed to.  I was drawn to Stettheimer because although...
A Recently Acquired Alice Neel Lithograph

Today’s post comes from Noble Ingram, class of 2016 and Art Center Student Docent. In 2011, the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center acquired a lithograph by artist Alice Neel from Drs. Lenore Levine Weseley and Alvin C. Weseley. The work is a portrait titled Judith Solodkin and was printed and published in 1978. Alice Neel (1900–1984) was an American...