The official student-run blog of the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Permanent Collection
Wangechi Mutu: Histology of the Different Classes of Uterine Tumors

Today’s post comes from Claudia Ashworth,  Class of 2019, and Art Center Docent. When I first entered the Art Center’s new exhibition The Secret of Girls, I was surprised. Being a relatively new docent, I hadn’t yet encountered works from the collection that were created with a political message in mind. I quickly discovered that the Loeb...
On Moore's Standing Figures

On Moore’s Standing Figures

Today’s post comes from Polly Ellman, Arlington Highschool 18′ and Art Center Student Docent. A main focus of the modern and contemporary galleries at the Loeb is the tension between abstract and representational or figurative artwork. Few works embody this tension more effectively than English artist Henry Moore’s 1950 bronze sculpture, Double Standing Figure. This seven-foot tall sculpture...
Searching for Sherman

Searching for Sherman

Today’s post comes from Julian Ireland, Oberlin class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent. It is hard to pinpoint what makes Cindy Sherman’s 1994 photograph Untitled #304 so unsettling – whether it’s the two figures who draw an ambiguous line between human and doll, or the eerie red carpeted space that they lie in. There’s...
Caro in the Garden

Caro in the Garden

Today’s post comes from Claudia Ashworth, Class of 2019, and Art Center Student Docent. After a brief period of conservation, Anthony Caro’s work Slap (1976) returned to the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center’s sculpture garden last week. It now rests on its original spot in front of an ivy wall immediately visible upon entering the space. Like many...
Winogrand's Beautiful Women

Winogrand’s Beautiful Women

Today’s post comes from Julian Ireland, Oberlin Class of 2019 and Art Center Docent. A recent exhibition that visitors to the Loeb often miss (yes, there is a gallery on the second floor) is Garry Winogrand’s Beautiful Women. This show is comprised of twelve photographs by Winogrand, each featuring a female subject over the backdrop of 1960s...
Fading from Memory: Mesoamerica to New York City

Today’s blog post comes from Curtis Eckley, Class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent. On April 20, 2017, Late Night at the Lehman Loeb saw the surfacing of some of the Art Center’s more elusive yet fascinating works from the collection through a faculty talk given by Professor of Anthropology and Latin American & Latinx...
My Friends at the Museum – Art that Speaks

Today’s post comes from Bella Dalton-Fenkl, class of 2020 and Art Center Student Docent. I remember one day last term when I arrived at the Art Center and was met with a surprise—I had to give a tour to fifty people. Unsurprisingly, I felt panic. As I led them through the 20th century gallery, I turned...
My Brown-Eyed Girl

My Brown-Eyed Girl

Today’s post comes from Will Kyle, class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent.   I took a class called “Color” taught by Peter Charlap, the chair of the art department. The class mostly involves lots of exploration and experimentation with a “color aid set,” a few hundred pieces of paper printed with every color known to...
Springtime Titles

Springtime Titles

Todays post comes from Delphine Douglas, class of 2018 and Art Center Multimedia Student Assistant. This week, I was inspired by the Charles Herbert Moore painting, The Catskills in Spring (1861), to look for springtime works in the permanent collection. I found over a dozen works that directly referenced spring in the title and collected...
American Hair Stories

American Hair Stories

Today’s post comes from Josh Schwartz, class of 2018 and Art Center Student Docent. In the 1967 musical Hair the cast sings “Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair/ Flow it, show it/ Long as God can grow it/ My hair.” In the show, the characters’ hair represents their freedom, their unwillingness to conform, and their...
Prints Prints Prints

Prints Prints Prints

Todays post comes from Delphine Douglas, class of 2018 and Art Center Multimedia Student Assistant. Recently I’ve been exploring the prints of the Art Center. With curator Patti Phagan, the docents had the chance to take a crash-course on prints in the Art Center’s print room. We learned about different techniques including woodblock, etching, and engraving,...
Monsters in Miniature: The Bakemono Sōshi

Today’s post comes from Morgan Williams, class of 2017 and Art Center Student Docent. On October 29, 2015, Professor Hiromi Tsuchiya Dollase gave a talk on the Bakemono Sōshi or Monster Scroll in the first lecture of this semester’s Artful Dodger series in the galleries. As the professor who teaches “The Gothic and Supernatural in Japanese...