The official student-run blog of the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Permanent Collection
Seeing is Believing?

Seeing is Believing?

Today’s post comes from Caylea Barone, Colgate University class of 2021 and Art Center Student Docent. This summer, a playful new exhibition decorates the walls of the Project Gallery at the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center. The display consists of nine works from the permanent collection that engage the theme of trompe l’oeil, or “deceive the...
Column Like You See 'Em

Column Like You See ‘Em

Today’s post comes from Isabel Long, Art Center Summer Docent and Skidmore College class of ’21. Before this summer I had only ever been to the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center as a visitor, but with more experience and education I have made new fascinating connections about, and with, the collection. When I walked into the...
Rural Landscape goes to the Whitney

Rural Landscape goes to the Whitney

Today’s post comes from Claudia Ashworth, class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent From March 2-June 10, the Art Center’s painting Rural Landscape (1931) by Grant Wood will be on display at the Whitney Museum of American Art as part of their retrospective, Grant Wood: American Gothic and Other Fables. The exhibition consists of an...
Writing Box

Writing Box

Today’s post comes from Bella Dalton-Fenkl, class of 2020 and Art Center Student Docent The following poem should be read from bottom to top.
Wangechi Mutu: Histology of the Different Classes of Uterine Tumors

Today’s post comes from Claudia Ashworth,  Class of 2019, and Art Center Docent. When I first entered the Art Center’s new exhibition The Secret of Girls, I was surprised. Being a relatively new docent, I hadn’t yet encountered works from the collection that were created with a political message in mind. I quickly discovered that the Loeb...
On Moore's Standing Figures

On Moore’s Standing Figures

Today’s post comes from Polly Ellman, Arlington Highschool ’18 and Art Center Student Docent. A main focus of the modern and contemporary galleries at the Loeb is the tension between abstract and representational or figurative artwork. Few works embody this tension more effectively than English artist Henry Moore’s 1950 bronze sculpture, Double Standing Figure. This seven-foot tall...
Searching for Sherman

Searching for Sherman

Today’s post comes from Julian Ireland, Oberlin class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent. It is hard to pinpoint what makes Cindy Sherman’s 1994 photograph Untitled #304 so unsettling – whether it’s the two figures who draw an ambiguous line between human and doll, or the eerie red carpeted space that they lie in. There’s...
Caro in the Garden

Caro in the Garden

Today’s post comes from Claudia Ashworth, Class of 2019, and Art Center Student Docent. After a brief period of conservation, Anthony Caro’s work Slap (1976) returned to the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center’s sculpture garden last week. It now rests on its original spot in front of an ivy wall immediately visible upon entering the space. Like many...
Winogrand's Beautiful Women

Winogrand’s Beautiful Women

Today’s post comes from Julian Ireland, Oberlin Class of 2019 and Art Center Docent. A recent exhibition that visitors to the Loeb often miss (yes, there is a gallery on the second floor) is Garry Winogrand’s Beautiful Women. This show is comprised of twelve photographs by Winogrand, each featuring a female subject over the backdrop of 1960s...
Fading from Memory: Mesoamerica to New York City

Today’s blog post comes from Curtis Eckley, Class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent. On April 20, 2017, Late Night at the Lehman Loeb saw the surfacing of some of the Art Center’s more elusive yet fascinating works from the collection through a faculty talk given by Professor of Anthropology and Latin American & Latinx...
My Friends at the Museum – Art that Speaks

Today’s post comes from Bella Dalton-Fenkl, class of 2020 and Art Center Student Docent. I remember one day last term when I arrived at the Art Center and was met with a surprise—I had to give a tour to fifty people. Unsurprisingly, I felt panic. As I led them through the 20th century gallery, I turned...
My Brown-Eyed Girl

My Brown-Eyed Girl

Today’s post comes from Will Kyle, class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent.   I took a class called “Color” taught by Peter Charlap, the chair of the art department. The class mostly involves lots of exploration and experimentation with a “color aid set,” a few hundred pieces of paper printed with every color known to...