In this weekly feature, we will share our ideas for what you can do “off-campus” while the museum is closed. This week’s entry comes from Nicole M. Roylance, Coordinator of Public Education and Information.

There is great comfort in regularly visiting the same museums. Those of you who live close to the Art Center have told us that you love wandering through season after season, year after year, visiting your “old favorites”.

I was dragged to museums throughout my childhood. Although I did not appreciate it as much at the time, I have the advantage now of having “grown up” with some wonderful works of art throughout the Berkshires and the Hudson Valley.

This past week, I revisited an old favorite, the Hyde Collection in Glens Falls, with my mother. Growing up, I paid more attention to the home the collection is displayed in than the works of art themselves. Walking through now, I am startled by some of the names on the labels: Botticelli, El Greco, Rubens, Rembrandt, Ingres, Renoir, Picasso, and Homer. Displayed in the collectors’ home, the visitor is offered an intimate museum experience.

Thomas Eakings (American, 1844-1916) Portrait of Henry O. Tanner, 1897, Oil on canvas, 24 1/16 x 20 1/8 in., 1971.16

Eakins’ Portrait of Henry O. Tanner is found when you are climbing a short stair case to the second floor. There is a grouping of small paintings by Ingres in the library. And a Boticelli rests on a side table in a room that also holds medieval tapestry and the most stunning Rubens. There are treasures found at every turn.

With its proximity to Saratoga and Lake George, the Hyde Collection makes for a wonderful part of an “off-campus” adventure this weekend.