The official student-run blog of the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Art Center People
Inspiration from Hiroshige: Making an Enamel Fox

Today’s blog post comes from Olivia Feltus, Art Center student docent and Vassar class of ’21. As a Japanese and Art History double major, I am always looking out for connections between my fields of study. Also, as someone with a background in studio art, I am always looking for inspiration for my own work. Fortunately,...
Doorways: A Loeb Letter

Doorways: A Loeb Letter

Today’s post comes from Bella Dalton-Fenkl, Vassar College class of 2020 graduate and former Art Center student docent. Rather than a written entry, this post is a Loeb Letter “virtual tour” in the form of a slide presentation, which can be accessed by clicking the link below. The presentation focuses on works from the Art...
Pamela Smith’s Discoveries from a Sixteenth-Century Artisanal Manuscript

Today’s post comes from Chloe Richards, Vassar College class of 2022 and Art Center student docent. On Tuesday, February 25, Pamela H. Smith gave a lecture titled “Art & Science, Making and Knowing in a Sixteenth-Century Artisan’s Workshop.” This lecture explored an anonymous manuscript of “recipes” for over nine hundred technical and artistic methods of making...
"What Was Lost"

“What Was Lost”

Today’s post comes from Bella Dalton-Fenkl, class of 2020 and Art Center student docent.   “What Was Lost?” —for Judy Fiskin’s The End of Photography   From the second-floor bench, I watch the jittery, grain-filled clips flash onscreen. I listen. It amuses me, usually. “No more sheet of glass. No more squeegee.”  Not that I can’t understand. If my house was razed to...
Learning to See

Learning to See

Today’s post comes from Ian Shelley, Vassar class of 2022 and Art Center student docent. Allison Miller Snare: A toddler saw what I could not see Modern art often asks us to gaze at a piece with childlike wonder, a kind of naiveté devoid of preconception. It asks us to look at form and color with new...
Column Like You See 'Em

Column Like You See ‘Em

Today’s post comes from Isabel Long, Art Center Summer Docent and Skidmore College class of ’21. Before this summer I had only ever been to the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center as a visitor, but with more experience and education I have made new fascinating connections about, and with, the collection. When I walked into the...
Fading from Memory: Mesoamerica to New York City

Today’s blog post comes from Curtis Eckley, Class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent. On April 20, 2017, Late Night at the Lehman Loeb saw the surfacing of some of the Art Center’s more elusive yet fascinating works from the collection through a faculty talk given by Professor of Anthropology and Latin American & Latinx...
On Agnes Martin

On Agnes Martin

Today’s post comes from James Olney, Class of 2020 and Art Center Student Docent. Last November, I brought two of my friends into Manhattan to see the retrospective of painter Agnes Martin’s work at the Guggenheim. While I was giddy and excited, my friends were skeptical about the impact of Martin’s stark works. At the museum...

Music to My Eyes: Indian Ragamala Paintings

Today’s post comes from Andi Ramsay, class of 2018 and Art Center student docent. The current exhibition in the Art Center’s Focus Gallery is India in Miniature, a collection of small, opaque watercolor paintings, mostly album leaves, from India. The album leaves show a variety of subjects and are painted in different styles, but one genre...
The Art of Devastation: World War I Medals and Posters Exhibition

Today’s post comes from Hannah Cho, class of 2018 and Art Center multimedia assistant. The Art Center’s most recent exhibition features beautiful medals and posters from the Great War. The 100+ medals in the exhibition come from The American Numismatic Society in New York City, along with war posters on loan from the Museum of Fine...
An Unexpected Adventure

An Unexpected Adventure

Today’s post comes from Isa Pengskul, class of 2019 and Art Center Student Docent.   I have always walked past the painting Night Mirror by William Baziotes with a sense of indifference and a splash of contempt. The painting has been displayed on the wall adjacent to a doorway for as long as I’ve been a docent,...
Art Center Slow-Down

Art Center Slow-Down

Today’s post comes from Rosa Bozhkov, class of 2017 and Art Center Student Docent. On Wednesdays at three, we meet. Every week the student docents at the Art Center get to know just a little bit more about the gallery through a variety of exercises and events. There is always a surprise waiting for us on...