What Tweeters Are Saying About #culture

For my hashtag topic, I chose #culture. I found that there is a wide ranging usage for just this word. Some people use this word to form pages and form online communities in which others can relate to a specific culture. Others use it to raise awareness of certain negative customs in a culture, such as diminishing the role and education of women. Furthermore, some people use this word to mock a culture, stereotype a culture, or exaggerate specific characteristics of a culture. Thus, there are both negative and positive uses of #culture.

One of the users of Twitter has used #culture to declare a stereotypical point of view of Asian languages, stating that these points of views are funny. The tone of my first example is mocking and very close minded.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.03.37 PM

Another Tweeter used #culture in a positive manner. He was advocating for peace, unity, and for the creations of connections within worldwide cultures to create a better future. The tone of my second example is very positive, enlightening, and peaceful.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.05.10 PM

Looking at these different usages, I think that there are wide ranging points of views in this world. The level of maturity of the users on these social media cites is wide ranging. Thus, their level of sensitivity towards the wide ranging topics in this world can really vary. Some users take social, economic and political issues far more seriously than other users. In addition, some users show more respect to the diversity in this world than other users.

In general, these contradictory hashtags say a lot about society. The different stances each individual can be reflected through their responses and through their usage of #culture. On everyday social media, these wide ranging and contradictory viewpoints can be seen.