Feed on
Posts
comments

Ed Lynch with his bike on Vassar campus
Ed Lynch has lived on College Avenue since 1979. Before that, he lived in the Wappingers Creek area, where he canoes even today. As a longtime area resident, Mr. Lynch remembers many of the events that we have written about on this blog.
While attending middle school in […]

Read Full Post »

This 2000 map shows the altered course of Raymond Avenue as a result of the 1965 realignment, which caused the sacrifice of trees and the filling in of about 75 feet of Vassar Lake.

Raymond Avenue hasn’t always had the center median and roundabouts it is outfitted with today. Rather, it has […]

Read Full Post »

Panoramic view of Vassar Lake from 1912, with Raymond Avenue on the right

On September 5, 1933, a Poughkeepsie Eagle News article came out under the headline “Dam At Vassar Lake Goes Out.” Heavy rains had put considerable strain on the rotting, wooden structure, causing the gate to give way and the lake to […]

Read Full Post »

On May 16, 1928, the Miscellany News, Vassar’s student-run newspaper, featured on its cover an 1880’s print of Vassar Lake, then known as Mill Cove Lake. The print had been found in a bookshop in New York City and submitted to the newspaper for its historical value. Subtitled “Old Print Recalls Former Balmy Days When […]

Read Full Post »

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.