Quick and Easy Guide to Remote Ensemble Recording

I was asked about remote recordings yesterday. I looked online and the articles I read made it sound really hard. My daughter and I took a walk together and as it turns out, Arlington’s music program had already completed a Virtual Wind Ensemble performance:

Here is my understanding of the steps:

1. Learn your part to tempo.
2. Get warmed up and in tune
3. Play and record the song to tempo, listening to a metronome in your headphones (make sure everyone is using the same tempo – it might be helpful to provide a guide recording or a midi file, as apparently metronomes can vary).
4. Allow a few seconds before you record and after you record to help in the editing process.
5. Look and sound your best. Make your best take possible. Use appropriate gestures and expression.
6. Share the file with as indicated by your instructor (at Vassar College, Moodle or Google Drive are your best bets).
7. Find someone to edit it (maybe start there before asking everyone to make videos).

I would pick something short for the first attempt at this.

Thanks to my daughter Azalea for sharing and being so active in music. Thanks to Mr. Gullien for his creativity in giving this assignment during these challenging times, and kudos to Ryan King for making the video.