Difficulties with AEO Registration

1. The process

Many students report that they had a difficult time getting things settled when they first registered with AEO.  One student said that AEO took a long time getting back to her to let her know that her psychiatrist’s documentation had the wrong information.  This delay almost caused the student to be unable to request housing accommodations.  Though it all worked out in the end, the student said the “poorly organized” process caused her unnecessary anxiety.  Another student said,“I feel like they put up a lot of initial barriers to becoming approved for an accommodation, which could be a problem but at the same time kind of makes sense.”

2. The List

Another student who chose not to register with AEO said he made this decision based on the list of specific services AEO offers.  This makes one wonder how many students do not register with AEO because they do not see certain accommodations on AEO’s list.  This list is deceiving, because, in fact, AEO does offer more accommodations than those listed.  It is disappointing if students who could benefit from AEO’s services are not registering because they do not see a specific accommodation on AEO’s list.

3. The Cost

One professor said, “I’ve always been personally concerned about students whose parents are not well off financially and can’t afford the testing that’s required but I can’t say I know what the college’s current policy is on that or how they help. I know that Belinda [former Director] used to have a list of places where people could go to get the testing at a reduced fee.  In an ideal world I would like to see disability evaluations covered under college insurance policies, health insurance, so it could become an integral part of our larger health services, but that’s a dream.”